Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Story About A Casino

My dear husband was in San Diego (a whole other story) for a conference on our anniversary this year, so he decided to surprise me with an overnight stay at a casino resort when he got back.  He woke me up on a Monday morning and told me we're going on a trip.  I had recently heard that this particular casino had a wonderful steak restaurant and was looking forward to trying it out.

We dropped the kids off at Grandma's, and made the 3 hour trip.  We stopped at Dick's burgers on our way, because we always have to stop at Dick's. It was 10:00 am and I was not yet hungry. (Foreshadowing)

We got to the casino and proceeded to lose $50 in the first 20 minutes.  The husband was not a happy camper.  We played for another hour or so and I mentioned that I was hungry. The husband screamed- "Well I'm not ready for a steak dinner yet! Why didn't you eat at Dick's? I offered to get you a salad or something somewhere else!" Apparently, he thought that I meant that I was ready for our sit down meal that we had been looking forward to all day, which I was not. (He was also in a very pissy mood from all the losing we had been doing.) I was just letting him know that I needed to find a sandwich or something to tide me over.  So I yelled "I didn't want to eat Dick's! I hate Dick's, and I wasn't hungry yet!" It is at this point that we decided we should part ways for a little while. 

I did a little wandering around, where I discovered the steak restaurant that we had been looking forward to eating at was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Hmmm. Today is Monday. I went to the food court and got a sandwich. I tried to call the husband to see where he was. No cell service.

So, 4 hours in, and we have lost a nice chunk of money, we had gotten into a fight, the steak restaurant was closed, and I couldn't find my husband. Yay.

I spent the next 20 minutes wandering around trying to find him. I finally do and tell him that we will not be eating at the restaurant we had been planning on. We continued playing slots, and actually winning.  (I was particularly fond of the "Zeus" machine. On Mr. Zeus, I won $60. I eventually lost it all, but I choose not to dwell on that.)

I started getting tired of losing all of my money, so we checked into our hotel room, where I stayed and watched t.v., while the husband continued gambling. He came to get me around 7:30, so we could go eat. He wasn't done gambling.  We decided we would go to the buffet.  But he wasn't done gambling.  I looked at the menu and told him what our choices were. But he wasn't done gambling.

I finally drag him away from the Star Wars machine and go to the buffet, where the cashier is counting her till.  He asks "Can we still eat?" she says, "You have 10 minutes before they pull the food." He looks at me, I shrug my shoulders, and we go for it.

I have never eaten so fast in my life.  We literally ran through the buffet, unloaded our plates on the table, and immediately went back to get more. I didn't even look at what was on my plate until I sat down to eat.  I ended up with an extra large cinnamon roll, mashed potatoes and gravy, clam chowder and some shrimp. Wha?

We scarfed our food down and were done in 15 minutes. I went to bed. He wasn't done gambling.

No comments: